For all the negativity i've been feeling towards ffxiv lately
1) The story. I've played several mmo's before and I always end up just skipping through the story after the first five or six bits of dialogue. They always start out way too slow and they try to get you started with fetch quests and combat. FFXIV jumps RIGHT into the world building. It starts with introducing you to the interesting characters and lets you know a bit about Eorzea before it sends you out to kill ladybugs or cactuars. It gets you interested in the world from the very start, and never once slows down (until the 100 quest slog at lv 50 but that's a different topic..)
2) The dungeons. While not every dungeon is a winner, almost all of them are interesting and fun, at least for the first few times. The expert dungeons get killed off rather quickly, but the first time going through a new dungeon is always a good experience. I like to go through them with my friends for the first time, all of us going in blind and figuring out the mechanics as we go along. It's a fun challenge trying to figure out exactly what we're supposed to do, or what killed us THAT time. But it's fun nonetheless. Sure this magical feeling is only there the first time you play through the dungeon, but that doesnt change the fact that they put a lot of time and creativity into most of these dungeons (despite them all being linear hallways), and it really shows.
3) The community. I know duty finder is always a roulette, filled with potentially bad or awfully rude players. But the majority of the time I get a good, talkative fun group out of duty finder. There's of course the occasional rude player, or the player that doesnt quite know how their job is supposed to work, but for the most part the encounters I get are positive. Theres been too many times to count where we've met a really really cool person through duty finder that we talked with and goofed off for the whole run with, and then got very dissapointed to find out they were from another server. Despite all the bad apples this game has, the good players manage to shine through even brighter.
4) The world. Eorzea is an amazing place. Terrifying in some aspects yeah, but it's still amazing. Beautiful scenery, interesting lore, a variety of towns and locations. It's all varied enough that exploring it takes awhile to get stale. I only wish there was a little more danger out in the wild to make exploring a little more exciting, but the world itself is beautiful and very well crafted.
5) Primals. As someone that's been a final fantasy fan since I was a child, I got to know the summons very well. I spent way too much time watching Shiva shatter everything with Diamond Dust in many final fantasies, watching Diablos both terrify and impress me in ff8, and seeing Ramuhs glorious beard in ff9. These things have always impressed me as they were the go-to when I needed a large amount of destruction, right now. They were the most powerful things at my disposal for most of the final fantasy games. So coming into ffxiv blind, not knowing what was going to happen, I was both delighted and terrified to realize that I had to fight these things. The first time I ever encountered Ifrit was one of the most exciting and anxiety inducing moments, and its a memory that will stick with me forever. Being surrounded by the wall of flame, having that towering beast hunched over me ready to burn me to a crisp brought back all the memories of the times i'd summoned him in past games, having him incinerate my enemies or crush them with a rocket-punch powered meteor. It was intimidating, but it made destroying him that much more satisfying.
The primals are probably the thing I enjoy most about this game. They're always a challenge, and they're always fun. Especially Titan. Titan has always been my favorite primal to fight. It took my group probably close to three weeks (using duty finder..) to find a group that could beat Titan Ex, and I had fun every single time we attempted. That was a very well designed fight, in my opinion. I know many hate it, but Its still my favorite to this day.
I didnt expect to type this much out, I really didnt. But for all the flack this game gets, its really great and its really well done. Honestly I could keep typing, theres many more things I like that I could list but I feel like if I kept the list going any longer my fingers would fall off.
I will say that that I have paid and played FFXIV since 1.0
I will say that that I have paid and played FFXIV since 1.0, participated in beta and have played 2.0 from early access until today (even purchased HW).
Final Fantasy XIV Gives A Preview Of Patch 3.3’s Main Story And Dungeons
In addition to new main scenario quests, ffxiv patch 3.3 will also bring with it two new dungeons: Sohr Khai and Hullbreaker Isle (Hard).
Astrologian i'd just completely rework it
Raise trait should be removed for all healers and replaced for something actually useful.
Starting Final Fantasy XIV Tanks FAQ
Hey guys, Tanks just starting out in dungeons. If you're just starting out I think it's a great place to start. If you think it can be improved at all please reply and and I'll pass it along!
ff14gilhub:Final Fantasy XIV Diadem Duty Finder
The trouble of the diadem, that it is like a new zone, but instead to have add it normally, it's gated behind a full group system that can't work.
Final Fantasy XIV Contested Dungeons New Challenges
FFXIV Contested Dungeons are also not accessible by the Duty Finder, this means ffxiv players will have to make, and rely on there guilds and friends to do them.