For those that want skill bonuses on gear: How would you do it?
I often see the idea that this game's gearing progression is rather flat and boring, and one suggestion that gets thrown around a lot is the idea of putting skill/ability/spell bonuses on your gear. Very few people elaborate on this idea, however.
So, as the thread title states, how would you do it?
Myself, I think it'd be best done through new 'Ability/Skill (or Spell) Materia', partly because the developers would not have to create dozens of versions of the same piece of gear just for different bonuses, and players would have to choose between getting the ability bonus and using a stat materia instead.
Ability Materia can only be slotted into necklaces and earrings, limit of one per.
Skill/Spell Materia can only be slotted into the two rings, limit of one per.
That would mean players can only choose between two of each, a total of four bonuses per class. Some abilities/skills may also have multiple materia bonuses, but there will be a limit of one bonus per skill (as specified in the item descriptions of those materia). If players choose to ignore that, the game will prioritize the materia slotted into the Necklace or Ring Slot 1.
As for the actual abilities themselves, I'd imagine the main obstacle would be designing abilities that would help introduce different playing styles for classes, but they shouldn't veer directly into quality of life territory (otherwise they might as well be built into the class itself in a class balancing update).
Here's some ideas I've had:
(Ability) Oblivion Materia - If Asylum is cast while in Cleric Stance, the healing field is instead reversed into a damage over time field at 50 potency. (Cannot be used with Revelation Materia.)
(Ability) Revelation Materia - Asylum gains the ability to restore MP to all party members inside at 30 refresh potency per tick. (Cannot be used with Oblivion Materia.)
(Ability) Wanderer's Focus Materia - While in Wanderer's Minuet, using Mage's Ballad or Army's Paeon will no longer incur a damage penalty. (Cannot be used with other 'Wanderer' materia.)
(Ability) Wanderer's Voice Materia - While in Wanderer's Minuet, MP drain from using songs is reduced by 25%. (Cannot be used with other 'Wanderer' materia.)
- Note: I had originally thought to have Wanderer's Voice allow songs to be used with no cast time, but eventually decided that was something that should be built into the class itself.
(Skill) Storm Volley Materia - When Quick Nock hits an enemy afflicted with Windbite, there is a 25% chance that the next Wide Volley will gain the ability to apply Windbite to all enemies that are hit. (Cannot be used with other 'Volley' materia.)
(Skill) Hail Volley Materia - Upon using Quick Nock, there is a 50% chance that the following Wide Volley's potency is increased from 110 to 170. (Cannot be used with other 'Volley' materia.)
As for how to obtain the materia? I'd imagine there would be three main ways:
- Hunts: Namely exchanging either 10 Unstained Mark Logs/5 Behemoth Horns/5 Odin Mantles for skills/abilities learned at Lv. 50 and below, and 10 Clan Mark Logs/5 Coeurlregina Horns/5 Proto Ultima Plating for skills/abilities learned at 52-60. Materia obtained in this fashion would be untradeable.
- Completion of Major Boss FATEs: Defined as the 30-minute FATEs. Each would award a new currency, one per completion at maximum contribution, that upon collecting 10 of can be exchanged for any materia. Materia obtained in this fashion would be untradeable.
- Crafting: Of course there'd be a crafting component. Each Materia would require 5 Battlecraft Demimateria I, 3 Battlecraft Demimateria II, and 1 Battlecraft Demimateria III, along with 1 tier IV materia of the class' main stat (for example, Mind Materia IV for CNJ/WHM materia). Materia obtained in this fashion would be tradeable.
While it would be rather easy to obtain the materials for the Crafting portion, different class materia would be locked behind different specialists, which would justify them being tradeable.
- Carpenter: ARC/BRD, CNJ/WHM
- Blacksmithing: MRD/WAR, LNC/DRG, MCH
- Armorer: GLA/PLD, DRK
- Goldsmithing: THM/BLM, AST
- Leatherworking: ROG/NIN
- Weaver: PUG/MNK
- Alchemist: ACN/SMN/SCH
(Leatherworking and Weaver only get one class each because they're already known for having the most specialist exclusive crafts in the form of glamour already. Blacksmithing gets three because they get pretty much nothing at all these days, because endgame craftable weapons have not been a thing for a very long time.)
Evaluating A Realm Reborn: 2.0 - 2.55 Mega Discussion Final Fantasy XIV Thread
Every patch in the 2.0 series has officially launched and we are mere months away from Heavensward. A Realm Reborn has brought us a lot of things, such examples include:
FFXIV Linkshell and Free Company advice from 3-star Crafters
I definitely understand how time-consuming Crafting is (and how expensive it is to gear up and meld), that's why I wanted to work with the Crafters as much as possible.
FFXIV Black Mage Aoe and Enochian
Before people jump on me with a bunch of hate, let me just say that I'm not asking to be king of aoe again. I'm not trying to relive the past pre ffxiv heavensward days
Saints, Guardians and Legendary Figures of Eorzea
According to legend, an Elezen maiden named Shiva fell in love with the dragon Hraesvelgr.
FFXIV Elemental Resistance change
As it stands now, it takes a lot of Materia and ffxiv gil just to make a significant difference in the elemental damage you suffer and the effort does not match the reward.
Suggested changes to AST Design to bring it in line with WHM/SCH
I've been playing this game since 1.0, I've always been a whm ever since so I'm experienced enough I think with 6 world firsts and 5 world second's under my belt