I have the following thoughts: Require that ALL of FFXIV 2.0-2.55 be done
We need a simple and concise dev post telling us exactly what is required to unlock the new jobs.
If it *does* require that ALL of 2.0-2.55 be done, then I have the following thoughts:
1) Misleading to new players and old, very disappointing to buy it and have no warning
2) Heavensward/store pages should make it obvious
3) Not everyone plays the way you do, they may only want to play for one of the new jobs
4) Prevents re-experiencing existing story again as new jobs
5) Other games have done similar and changed/regretted it; learn from their mistakes
6) Once unlocked you're left with just FATE/Dungeon grind for your shiny new job; very boring
7) It adds to the already present lack of consistency with current discipline/job system (all jobs vs ARC vs ROG, etc.)
8) Lore makes no sense as is - level 50s are taught new abilities then told to shove off and come back after re-training? Why not get adventurers as they grow and can first grasp the new abilities? Easy to justify sneaking them in for training, lore-wise, around 2.55 story.
It's not all 'existing content', but just the main storyline quest that will be required to unlock the three new jobs. This is because lore-wise they are specific to Ishgard which has long been closed off to outsiders, which completing the main storyline will explain why the player will suddenly be allowed to enter Ishgard.
As for your other points:
1) It's not misleading to 'new players and old'. These new Jobs are specifically part of the expansion pack - if you read the main FFXIV page where are the new Jobs listed? Not in the main Armoury section, but specifically in the FFXIV Heavensward page. Therefore it should be obvious those Jobs are only available if you purchase the new expansion and are not just 'added' like ROG and NIN were.
2) It is obvious, for the point I raised above.
3) What do you mean, 'no one plays the way you do'? As I stated above, the expansion involves Ishgard which has long closed itself off from the outside world, and the new Jobs are taught within that city. Because the main storyline ultimately will lead the player and be allowed to enter it (for reasons I won't mention here as they're spoilers), it's only natural those new Jobs require the storyline to be completed before you can access them. For pretty much the entire game content has been locked behind storyline completion way back to the very start of the game so really this is nothing particularly surprising.
4) So? You'll still be able to access all the previous ffxiv dungeons/raids/content in the game, including main story dungeons and trials, nothing is stopping you going back and doing that content as it will still be available after Heavensward is released. Main story quests and cutscenes are different, but even then, just view it through the Unending Journey.
5) I'm not sure what you mean about 'other games have done this and regretted it', as I admit I haven't played many MMOs. But it should be noted SE's previous MMO, FFXI, did this too with new Jobs being introduced with expansions, as they required you to complete story content in order to unlock the new areas where the Job npcs were located. Although admittedly you weren't required to actually get far in the expansion storylines, you were still required to at least do some of it.
6) Uh, you can do the Challenge Log, your Hunting Log (although there's no info if the new Jobs will be getting Hunting Logs, it's likely they will), levequests, the beastmen dailies, and of course the new storyline quests and sidequests that the expansion will inevitably bring.
7) I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. 'Lack of consistency'? Unless you mean how Jobs aren't all implemented or executed in the same way, this is because SE are trying to break away from the original 1.0 Armoury System and find new ways of implementing new classes and Jobs without scrapping the Armoury System itself (because when ARR was still in development player polls overwhelmingly voted for the existing system to stay). SE first tried having two Jobs come of a single class (with SMN and SCH off ACN), naturally, this didn't work as well as they'd hoped. ROG and NIN being not available from the start is for lore reasons, (given they're ultimately connected with a patch storyline). It may seem haphazardly implemented but SE are trying to satisfy player requests for new Jobs which don't just copy an existing class or Job and actually bring something new or unique to the game.
8) This just sounds like you want an automatic system of learning all abilities instead of using Guilds or class trainer NPCs. Well it's clear they've made their choice in this regard so I do not see them changing this at all.
I'm sorry if I sound nasty with that, but the fact is, SE have decided on a specific design for the expansion and like any developer will tweak and refine that basic design as time goes by, but if you're hoping for them to change their minds and allow the new Jobs to be accessible freely from the start without storyline completion then you will be sadly disappointed I'm afraid. The fact is, the new Jobs will require the existing storyline to be completed as it leads into accessing Ishgard where the new Jobs are learned. SE will not change that. It's best to accept it and move on.
The FFXIV Gear Design Contest Deadline Approaches
FFXIV Gear Design Contest is a reminder to all designers of the realm, the deadline for the Gear Design Contest is on Friday, February 24th at 6:59 a.m. (Pacific Time). Contest Email Address :[email protected]
Why I Still Play the Final Fantasy Game?
To me it doesn't feel very "Final Fantasy"-ish, but it took me a while to really narrow down why.
The Final Fantasy XIV part of ARR story doesn't make enough sense
we have all the important/strong NPC over there right on the spot. We have Raubian on our side also! Combine the strength if Warrior of Light is willing to do anything, we simply have enough resourced to capture everybody on the spot and use echo on them
The desire to have those ffxiv houses reused
Housing demolition was also posted on the launcher at the time as well so everyone playing was actively informed
ff14gilhub:Not at the expense of a 2 million ffxiv gil fixture that gets destroyed the second we remove it
Whenever a new submenu item is added, it gets added to the top of the submenu. Great if you're going by the "We want people to notice and use their new menu options" theory
Thank you delightful FFXIV team
Thank you delightful FFXIV team.I would rather you increase the Quality of my current Egi instead of just needlessly increasing the Quantity. They will hopefully be more interesting to use